Monday, June 24, 2013

#18 Appreciation: Sincerity

Have you met someone that treat you more than you have expected to? To those who did more than what you expected, that touches your heart (eg: without specific intention or purpose, and it is also depending on the relationship), I would regard them as a person who sincerely concern about you and view your relationship seriously. It doesnt mean that those dont do more doesnt appreciate your presence, but rather, those who did more, made you value this relationship much more.

For instance, when I am in a foreign land, although I am sort of familiar with the transport system, I am still new given that I only been there for about few months. After the meet up in the city, it was quite late and everyone was tired. Due to the transport network, I will be taking bus back alone whereas the rest will be taking train since it is faster, more comfortable and more convenience. However, this friend that I met few months back was worried about me and volunteered to accompany me back via bus. She forgo the comfortable mode of transport and decide to go on a bumpy journey with me, despite that I told her I will be OK if I head back alone. 

If you ask me to list more examples of what she had done for me, honestly, I cant recall, because subconsciously, I remembered she treats me much more than I had hope for and I will just do the same regardless of frequency. In this term, this is a sincere friendship, but is not limit to that. Even a financial planner, who valued his or her customer, will willingly follow up the portfolio and provide professional advice rather than feeling forceful when doing it as they are acting out of responsibility.

I might not be actively doing the extra miles to everyone that I know, but for those those who treat me beyond one should have done, I often do the same if not more towards them. Because I realized that 
once one treat me more than I have expected, I will do the same or even more to him/her. As per the Chinese old saying "滴水之恩,当涌泉相报"。(Direct translate: A drop of water shall be returned with a burst of spring; Meaning: Even if it was just a little help from others, one shall return the favour with all you can when others are in need). There is no rules that require us to treat other wholeheartedly although we suppose to. Yet given these days with rapid growth of network, commitments that people have and the fast-paced environment, it is hard (not impossible) to have people that value the time spent for you.

Follow my 100 Days of Appreciation

No comments:

Post a Comment

我的世界,你是有什么感想呢?