Tuesday, June 25, 2013

#19 Appreciation: Value of Family

I am brought up in a culture where "family" is one of the most important aspects in life. I am glad that I am not born before 50s as those are the time where distinction of treatment between different genders are very apparent. In my culture, respect towards the elders and the family-hood are the obvious practices.

Unlike the West, where everyone deem to be equal regardless your age and status which leads to lesser bureaucracy in the individualistic community. However, to me it seems that everyone is some sort of lone rangers. For once, a friend of my shares his experience about having a family dinner with  his extended family members. In the restaurant, his cousin (who has been brought up in the Western culture), actually asked his parents, who flew in and visit him, to pay their share on the spot. It could be a common practice in his country, but coming from a different background, I feel that it is a ridiculous act. I dont feel the 'warmth' in the family and it is a calculative behaviour.

Due to the difference in upbringing and the family value, I dont seem to feel the depth of the family relationship. Although I did expect such individualistic attribute to be present based on what I have studied, yet when I was there to experience it, there is quite an impact. That's the reason why I somewhat feel empty when I am in a Western country.

There is no one culture that is better than the rest as each of them is unique in nature. I just appreciate such value that I had (well, since I have been 'drilled' in since I was born), because it is something that I perceived as an important element in my life and my family has always be there with me and be my utmost solid support in any of my endeavours.

Follow my 100 Days of Appreciation

No comments:

Post a Comment

我的世界,你是有什么感想呢?